Due to the restrictions of Covid-19 choir activities have been suspended until further notice.
The following recordings may help keep our choir and congregation in tune until the time we return.
For questions contact:
Kathryn Athanasoulas, Choir Director
Learn to Sing the Liturgy!
These are recordings of the basic Liturgy sung at Holy Trinity. You can:
- Simply listen to the hymns that are recorded individually by clicking the icon.
- Try to sing a long and learn the hymns.
- Consider them a good way to test your voice.
- Download them to your iphone.
- Practice on your own time anywhere you go.
- Sing a-long with a friend or friends.
These hymns from the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom are sung by a former angel choir member. The reference to page numbers indicates where the hymn can be found in the older “blue” Divine Liturgy book. These are the common hymns sung at every liturgy.
Why Should I Join?
If you have been blessed with the ability to sing, you should be sharing this talent with your fellow parishioners as part of your stewardship. We need to perpetuate our choirs by adding new voices, especially the youth. It is everyone’s obligation to give back the blessings bestowed upon us. Those who sing our hymns pray twice.
For Your Information
- We rehearse every Thursday at 7:30 PM in the church.
- We sing from the beginning of the Ecclesiastical year in September to June.
- You do not have to read Greek. All of our music is written in English phonetics.
- We sing many hymns in English.
- You do not have to be able to read music. If you do that is a big plus.
- You must be committed to rehearsals and singing each week and special Holidays.
- Special arrangements can be made for Youth participants.
The Adult Choir
They are all volunteers. They have families, many of them work and have as little time to spare as anyone else in our community. Yet, they sing for the benefit of everyone at Holy Trinity and to the glory of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. They are a friendly group.
Our choir is a member of the Eastern Federation of Greek Orthodox Church Musicians. Many members participate in the annual conference and workshops. Our New Jersey district is also very active in the annual Holy Cross Celebration in Asbury Park, a Christmas Concert in a different parish each year, and a Lenten Musical Offering (concert) held each year on the Friday before Holy Week in various parishes. These extra activities are on a volunteer basis.
- For boys and girls ages 7-12.
- Rehearse after Sunday School for 20 minutes.
- Learn about our church hymns.
- White robes will be assigned to each member.
- It’s easy, it’s fun, it’s spiritual, it’s the way to use your God-given talent.
The purpose of the Holy Trinity Angel Choir is to glorify God through song while promoting a lifetime love of music, through the gift of the Holy Spirit. We will strive for excellence in singing and understanding the rich musical heritage of the Greek Orthodox Church.
Each Sunday the Angel Choir sit behind or among the choir and sing any part of the Liturgy that they know along with the Adult Choir. They are featured on the Solea during Communion. The robes are numbered and assigned to each child and returned to the hangars before going to Religious Education classes. A rehearsal CD is provided for practice at home or they can use the “Learning to Sing the Liturgy” recordings on this website. There are opportunities for extra participation in workshops, the Christmas Concerts, the annual Lenten Concert, and the Eastern Federation of Greek Orthodox Church Musicians annual conferences when circumstances allow.
Who are the Byzan “teens”?
They are former Angel Choir members who wish to continue singing in the choir once they reach the age of 13. They know the basic Liturgy and help the Adult Choir by singing along on Sundays. They wear blue robes and are assigned their own notebooks. They leave the choir area along with the Angel choir to attend Religious Education classes.
Choirs need to be replenished continually with singers who are willing to make a commitment to attend the Liturgy and rehearsals. Although this group may have a problem with attending Thursday rehearsals, they will be rehearsing along with the Angel Choir after Religious Education class as much as possible. Full membership in the Adult Choir requires that they attend Thursday rehearsals.
If a child who has not been in the Angel Choir wishes to join the Byzan “teens” they may do so with special permission from the choir director.
We hope that these Byzan “teens” will someday become full members of the Adult Choir. In the meantime, they are learning the beautiful hymns of our faith and adding to the beauty of the sound of the choir.
If you are interested in having your child participate in the Byzan “teen” choir, please contact the choir director.